a dresser for the sewing shed
I should start by explaining – almost half of the floor and wall space in the sewing shed is taken up with packing crates. Full of 18 years worth of fabric and sewing bits and bobs. So sadly no, the sewing shed is neither the Tardis or the Weasley’s camping tent :-)
For each bit of furniture that has squeezed into the shed lately – i.e. the red cupboard and now the dresser – boxes have been unpacked and the contents sorted into the “AAAAHHH! I love this piece” – “Hmm … forgot I had this ” – “Good grief! What on earth was I thinking” piles. I delightedly pile the first on my sewing table, imagining I will use it straight away (no wonder Julian couldn’t find the iron yesterday), shove the second (the bulk) into the newly arrived cupboard and chuck the third into the bags that continue to leave the sewing shed, bound for our favourite thrift stores. Each time we visit lately, we drop off as well as bring home :-) I think that’s a win-win!
So today, I put the finishing touches on the newly arrived, newly painted dresser. It really is terribly sweet. I would love it in my kitchen, with my favourite plates and tea cups – ooooh! One day it may well. Until then, it’s a very fine addition to the shed.
Arranging the shelves is such fun – I keep finding things about the house that I immediately trot out to the dresser and re-arrange everything once more. My gourds – Sweetpea had been playing with those (thanks Jules!), my Golden Books, baskets, tins and boxes of embroidery threads and wools, and my sweet little tin cannisters with their wood grain finish and petticoat lids (Julian really loathes these!). They’re stuffed with crocheted granny squares – as you do.
And the wee triangles – prairie points sewn into bunting. Hee! I love it! And so many fabrics with stories – Abby’s Christmas Dress when she was 8, her Kit Kitteridge costume, her Laura Ingalls costume, my Kaffe Fassett skirt, the cowgirls from Abby’s embroidered pillowcase. Bit tricksy to sew the binding on though. I tried it sans pins - the top fold bunched up as I stitched and I was forced to add some little tucks. So on the second strip I pinned, and pinned, and pinned. No different. I’m not sure what is going on here. Yes, there are 7 layers of fabric involved – and an imbalance at that – but my machine is a right trooper and usually laughs at such thickness. It’s not struggling at all – it’s just the top layer of binding bunches as I stitch it down. Hmmmmm ….
As for thumbtacks. Do you know, they don’t make thumbtacks like they used to. (There – do I sound like a crone? This is my audition for that BBC television programme “Grumpy Old Women”) For every 1 thumbtack that went in, 3 broke. Yep – they clearly used spit to hold the brass cup on the wee nail. And sometimes I think they may even have run out of that and mumbled some sort of thumbtack blessing over it! Talk about frustrating! Frankly, I would be more than happy to pay 2x – even 3x – as much for my thumbtacks – heck, I’ll pay 5x – just to have a jar of thumbtacks where every thumbtack is a viable option. Not just every fourth. Clearly I need to abandon the thumbtack and stock up on upholstery pins.
Whilst in nesting mode, I also popped up two wee banners/bunting. An appliqued and embroidered one I made when we first moved here (almost 2 years ago!) …
… and a funny little “blanket” chain – as opposed to paper chain. This was born from the scraps I trimmed off Abby’s dragonfly + turtle + fish quilt this morning. They were just too soft and pretty to throw away and I couldn’t bear the thought of finding a home for them, so I trimmed them into roughly the same lengths and widths and sat there, quilt on lap, and stitched the chain up with buttons from the button jar. I seriously like this. I could wail for all the blanket trimmings that may or may not have found their way into the bin. And certainly foresee adding more blanket chains as the blanket strips arise. Hopefully it will one day be long enough to loop round and round the Christmas tree. Until then … I give you the new way to store blanket scraps.
Okay. Enough of the show and tell. Now it’s time to at least pretend to cook dinner. I might actually just put away the fruit and veg and make French toast and watermelon for dinner. Mmmm … that sounds good.
p.s. the dresser does have legs … it’s impossible to get a photo of the whole thing through the narrow door of the shed, so for the sake of completeness, here they are … :-)