After working my first weekend – which really, from a nursing perspective, is no different to working a week day, it’s just that sense of knowing that my family and most of the community are enjoying their rest from the working week whilst I’m still working on – today was a much appreciated home day. It was a little cooler than it has been. The dining room was full of pretty light. The house was quiet and tidy. And there on the piano, was my little koala, started way back in October I think, and still in a scattering of pieces.
I haven’t used a commercial pattern. I’ve drafted it myself – from scratch, over and over and over and over. There have been several versions – some of them truly funny in their dreadfulness. I finally settled on this design – and set about preparing the body for the arms, legs and head.
My idea was to machine sew stabilising patches – like joints – on the inside of the body, then machine sew the back of each of the limbs onto the front of the body – through the joints. Thus protecting the limbs from being prone to tearing off.
And it worked really well!
Until my final head turned out way too small. Argh! Abby tells me – she of the immense doll making experience – that even if the drawn head looks more than fine on the drawn body – and even if the unstuffed head still looks fine on the stuffed body – it will look like a bad case of microcephaly once stuffed. Apparently you need to make the head BIGGER because when it is stuffed it sort of shrinks. So the first head had to be discarded. Bum! And the body unstuffed. Double bum! It was soon after that, that the koala found herself abandoned on the piano.
But today, I was determined to finish her off. So much time and effort had gone into the creative process, and the fabric was so pretty. It just had to happen. Thus, the knitting was laid aside. A cup of tea was made. A story tape put on. And off I set with my stab stitch and blanket stitching.
And as often happens, when projects have been left idle for a loooooooong time, the finishing off was nowhere near as arduous and lengthy as I expected. However, it did require an unexpected trip to Winterwood for stuffing. Oh well – I’ve never been one to say no to a trip to the lovely Winterwood :-)
Finally, with the late summer sun just tilting over the trees, my sweet little koala was finished and ready for photos. Isn’t light funny stuff – she looked positively spot lit in the setting sun – I was waiting for her to burst into operatic song.
Here’s the back – I ladder stitched her head onto the front of the body. I like this construction – will definitely do it again.
And here she is in a tree! Looking right at home, I might say. Even if it isn’t a gum! We don’t actually have any gum trees near us – all very European – oaks, elms, birches, and ornamental fruit trees. There are some gums down at the Caulfield Park but they are sooooo tall there are no branches even remotely low enough for me or my little koala to reach.
Never mind. It’s only another 11 months and we’ll be in the beautiful Bega Valley and there will be PLENTY of gums for her to spend her days in. And next – I have the fabric for a little wombat, a black wallaby, and a whale. They’ll be the Bega Valley Collection. And maybe I may even write up the patterns – with stories. Now that would be truly lovely!