Finish woollen bolster cover – check.
I have had so much pleasure stitching this bolster cover. It’s a very simple pattern. I cut the blanket bigger than the bolster insert – about a six inch overlap, and 3 “checks” extra on each end. I bound the long edges with one fabric (3 inches wide, ironed in half and attached as per a quilt binding), the short ends with another, then made ties 42 inches long, 2 inches wide (folded in half right sides together, stitched along the long side, turned out the right way, the ends folded twice, ironed and stitched).
To fasten the cover, I used four large buttons, covered with fabric scraps. For the applique, I drew my images straight on to the paper side of the vlisefix, cut them out roughly, ironed them onto the wrong sides of the fabric scraps, cut them out carefully with small, pointed scissors, then ironed them onto the blanket. I whip stitched around each image in a matching sewing thread. I added the embroidered features with perle cotton.
Abby chose the word – “create”. This sums up Abby’s spare time perfectly. She spends hour upon hour drawing beautiful characters in all manner of costumes, their homes, their pets, their belonging. And the stories that go with them are magic.
Ahhhh … now what else can I do with the blanket … there’s still quite a bit left … :-)