There’s some serious landscaping happening on the season’s table. As you can see, it has taken the residents of mushroom cottage quite by surprise. However, I’m sure they’ll be thrilled with the final result!
It began with a duck. I have several books of patterns for felt animals and have seen felt ducks for sale at Winterwood and Little Sparrow. But did I have a pattern for a duck? No. There was no choice but to come up with my own. It took 3 gussets before I found the right shape – I simply cannot visualise things – I’m a try it and learn from my mistakes kind of person. So I know that next time I want a smaller beak and wings and I now have the perfect gusset shape. I want to make at least two more ducks for the spring table, but once there was one – sitting upright and all, thanks to a bottom full of pigeon peas – it was time to move onto creating the spring pond. Round and round and round …
Then it was onto the wee folk who will be dancing upon this spring table. I crocheted their wee skirts on the weekend – using the bamboo yarn from my wrap. Each skirt starts with a ring, then at least 1 round of half treble crochet, then onto a selection from the marvellous assortment of stitches from Mon Tricot.
Its so funny/sweet – as I plod my way through a new set of instructions – and some are so complicated – I recognise in the patterns I’m creating those that make up the doilies in my vintage doily collection. It sends a shiver through me when I think about the women who have spent thousands of years with thread and needles in their hands creating these delicate designs – beautiful – aren’t we so lucky.
Oh – and the skirts are adorning wee wooden peg dolls Abby and I bought from Winterwood on Saturday. My first foray into peg dolls and it is SOOOOOOO fun! Apparently you can get larger wooden beads for the heads, but they didn’t have any, so we haven’t used any. I quite like them with their little heads and think I shall stick with that.
The arms had me stumped for a while. I tried to coerce Julian into drilling holes through their “shoulders” for me on the weekend – but he had a dreadful cold and didn’t want to brave the man-shed – and I didn’t want to brave the drill press. So I tried wrapping pipecleaners around the “shoulders” – complete disaster – looked the hunchback of notre dame with a bad boob job. Then it finally dawned on me to use what I had – the peggy bit! So through went the pipecleaner, then I folded it to the height I needed and this – once wrapped with wool formed the shoulders, puffed sleeves and arms. Perfectly lovely! And I confess, I did a little jig and danced about the hallway when my first dancer was finished and waiting by the pond for the Maypole to be built :-)
There’s still a bit of landscaping to do – the cherry trees (stalks from the basil plant the chickens played with last month) need to be planted and have their blossoms added. And there are some wee farm animals that are waiting to move in – some lambs and piggies and chickens.
And I think a bee hive might be in order. Haven’t yet settled on a method of construction. And there might be some hair tweaking – that ginger haired lass looks like she’s wearing a saucer on her head – nothing the felting needle can’t fix. And the spare ribbons need to be wrapped around the Maypole. And those loose threads on the skirts need to be sewn in.
Eeeeee …. pure bliss! And the perfect holiday entertainment for this mama-nurse to be who thought her week’s holiday came AFTER her three week psych placement – not before. Good thing I checked my emails BEFORE catching the 6.50am tram on Monday morning.
I do so love creating :-)