I started my spring flowers – from the Paton’s Modern Crochet booklet – when this was my view – last summer at Merimbula. I sat out on Mum’s front porch and crocheted a few, here and there, in between swimming at the beach, adventuring, reading and generally just lazing about with my family.
But the day we drove home from this lovely holiday, Grandad had a heart attack and so began a rather chaotic year, with urgent trips to Brisbane, more illness and family upheavals, my final semester of studies, long clinical placements, many essays and the nerve wracking process of applying and interviewing for grad year placements.
Those poor little spring flowers – such a lovely and potent symbol of a holiday filled with light and warmth – were shoved into a basket and forgotten, whilst the balls of cotton were – ridiculously – left falling out of this sweet sewing basket …
… which of course, couldn’t be closed and looked perpetually messy and irritating in the corner of the living room.
Yesterday found me trying to push this basket under the craft table with my foot, whilst balancing a pile of patchwork fabric on my arm and carrying cups of tea for poor Abby who has now had an allergic reaction to the antibiotics we finally got last week for her persistent sinus infection. Nice! Needless to say, I couldn’t push said basket between the desk leg and chair leg, so handed out the tea, dumped the fabric on the piano (where all fabric lives) and took a closer look. Wondered where the little squares were. Found them shoved behind the rocking chair. So pulled them out too and ooohed and ahhhed over their pretty colours.
There were 39 finished – I thought about how many I still needed to do – 105. That would make 144 which would make a nice 12 by 12 blanket. Add a few lovely border rows and I’d have a sweet spring blanket that’s almost 1.4 metres square. Can’t you just see it folded over the end of a lovely vintage cane cot!? Good thing I have one :-) And so was born the notion that I could crochet a few each day in this, the first month of Spring, and have my lovely flowers ready for our return trip to the beach this summer.
I stacked the balls almost neatly in a rectangular basket – now named “working basket” – stored the finished squares in the lovely navy basket and sat down to time just how long it takes me to make one square, and thus see how feasible it would be to crochet 4 a day for the first 15 days, then 3 a day for the last 15. My first effort was a bit fumbly and I found I needed to follow the pattern carefully. But by the time I was up to the fourth little square, I had rediscovered my rhythm with these flowers, the pattern flowed easily and I was able to crochet one square in 30 minutes. Perfect.
Today, with the sun out, there was a wee bit of lining up and admiring … oh, it really is going to be such a pretty blanket, isn’t it!
Some fiddling with the wee flowers awaiting their ecru borders …
And a little naming of my favourites – I do love that pea green with the reddy-pink and pale blue – and that dark blue looks just lovely with the pink and soft red.
Now – baskets are sorted. I have two more balls of ecru (will obviously need many more, but this was all spotty had) and 8 little squares have been finished.
Fingers crossed I can maintain the momentum – only 28 more days and 97 squares to go!