A Lemon Drizzle Loaf
Ingredients for the loaf
- 225g butter (room temperature)
- 225g white sugar
- 4 large eggs (I use duck eggs for extra lift and wonderful colour)
- 1 tspn vanilla extract
- zest of 1 large lemon
- 125g unbleached plain flour
- 100g almond meal
- 1 tspn baking powder
Ingredients for the drizzle
- 85g white sugar
- juice of 1 large lemon
Method for the loaf
- Preheat oven to 180 celsius and generously butter a standard loaf tin (My loaf tin is (l)27cm x (w)15cm x (d)7cm).
- Place butter and sugar in mixing bowl and beat until pale and creamy (I use a kitchenaid standing mixer)
- Crack eggs one at a time into a glass – check for freshness before adding to a small bowl – nothing worse than 1 yucky egg spoiling the rest.
- Place all 4 eggs into butter and sugar mix and beat well.
- Add vanilla and lemon zest to above wet ingredients and continue to beat.
- Measure flour, almond meal and baking powder into a medium bowl – combine well with a hand whisk.
- Add dry ingredients to wet ingredients and keep mixing until well combined.
- Pour batter into prepared loaf tin and bake for 45 minutes or until inserted skewer comes out clean.
- Rest in tin on bench.
Method for drizzle
- While the loaf is baking, mix sugar with lemon juice (and any lemon pith you are able to extract) in a small jug.
- Once the loaf is resting on the bench and still warm, pierce all over with the skewer creating lots of small holes.
- Gently pour the lemon drizzle over the loaf being sure to cover all surface area.
- Leave in tin until the loaf has cooled.
Serve by itself or with a plain greek yoghurt.
And remember that mothers always need to secure their own oxygen mask before helping others ;-)